I have always been drawn to books about genocide. I think it might be just to me to be reminder to be thankful and not take anything for granted.
When I came to the US I came eye to eye with discrimination and I remember how I felt cause people would say stuff about my color or my accent. I vowed that when I have children to always instruct them to be respectful of others, no matter their color of their skin, their accent, their background and their religion.
I have thaught them to embrace others, to be open for friends from other cultures, to eat different kind of foods to experience a whole different world that they are used too.
As I look now my kids have friends like I would say : United Nations. I love that!
This picture and quote in the museum really struck me and I had to share it.
We are the shoes, We are the last witnesses
We are shoes from grandchildren and grandfathers.
From Prague, Paris and Amsterdam
And because we are only made of fabric and leather
And not of blood and flesh,
Each one of us avoided the Hellfire
-Yiddish poet Moses Schulstein

1 comment:
I have not been to the museum yet. I'm hoping to go either later this year or next. I've been told by friends it is a very moving experience. What a lot of people don't realize is, is that there were more than just Jews that were murdered because of who they were or what they believed and how they stood up to Hitler.
Post a Comment